Sunday, September 4, 2011

A Wonderful Get Away!

Last month my parents called to let my husband and I know that my baby brother Ethan and his beautiful wife Ciara were headed to the Salt Lake City Temple to be sealed. My parents decided that they wanted Rick & I to go represent them, since they are serving a mission in Russia and could not make it. They were going to fly Rick & I out to Utah for the event. I was so excited to go home and to get to be there for my little brother that I could hardly stand it! It has been years and years since I have been home and I could not wait to see my family, friends & the beautiful mountains again. My Richard had never been to Utah and I could not wait to show him my home. We flew in the morning of the sealing & went right to see my grandmother who had generously offered to let us stay with her during our trip. She has a lovely condo right off of temple square. We were able to spend some time that morning walking around the Farmers Market with my GG and my Uncle Elbert- it was lovely! Then we raced off to spend some time with my baby brother, his wife and my sister Amy. I had a great time talking & laughing with them & had almost forgotten how fun it is to listen to my sister talk. She is a GREAT story teller, very animated and makes the best faces as she goes along. It was so much fun to be laughing with them again. I have missed them so much. That evening we walked down to the temple and shared in a beautiful ceremony with loved ones. My brothers mother in law and their family put together a really nice celebration after the sealing with super good food. It was a fun get together & I am grateful that my brother is part of such a loving & supportive family. My husband was eager to take me to do all of the things that I have been missing out on since I moved to Missouri & decided we were off to get Sushi. We went to a wonderful Thai restaurant, sat under the stars on their patio with the breeze gently rolling down on us out of the mountains & had a very romantic meal.
Sunday morning I woke up early, eager to not waste too much time sleeping, and we headed home to Alpine. I could not wait to see my best friend Jenn! We grabbed donuts for her kids and raced over. I think I actually ran from the car to her front door. She had an awesome breakfast laid out for us and we spent the morning chatting and laughing with her and her children. I could not have been any happier. We went to church in my old neighborhood and loved getting to see most of my favorite people. Then we went for a drive up the canyon with my friend Jenifer Clegg from high school, it was a lot of fun to listen to her talk and giggle. She is truly one of the most upbeat people that I know and it was so much fun seeing her again. We were able to spend the evening with my best friend Jenn & her children and her beautiful sister Brandi and her family joined us. It was absolutely an amazing day & for the record-no one makes potato salad as good and Jennifer Ware! Not even my mother, and she would agree with me. After what was a difficult 'see ya later' for me we got to visit with my Aunt Sheri & Uncle Larry who I have loved being around for as long as I can remember. They aren't my family by blood but have been there through thick & thin & I could not ask for a more loving, funny & supportive Aunt or Uncle. It really was an amazing day & it is still carrying me through.
I woke up super early our last day there and Rickard & I began doing a little housekeeping for my Gg. Then she took us out to brunch with my Uncle and my sister. It was so fun to talk and spend the morning with them. I have missed being around my family & loved ones. I have missed the light that they bring into my life. My Gg was worried about my old wardrobe & insisted on taking me to find something new to wear. She bought me a much needed skirt & shirt for church with a lovely necklace and a sweater. Even my husband was excited about the clothes. I think he is tired of looking at the maternity denim skirt & black t-shirt that I have been wearing almost every Sunday these past 3 years. We walked around Temple square & then went to have dinner with some friends from Junior High that both moved from Ohio & ended up in Utah. It was a lot of fun meeting their children & hearing about their lives. My Ex-husband (and very good friend) Rob Stanford met us at dinner & then took us over to his friends cookie shop so I could take some treats home for the kids. He even took Richard on his first motorcycle ride.
It was a lovely trip full of almost all of my favorite people- in my favorite place. My husband is in love with Utah now and can finally understand why I miss it & the people there so very much. I am so grateful to my thoughtful & giving parents & grandmother & for all of my loved ones there that made time for us. I am also grateful for my loved ones here that helped with the kids & made our trip possible. I can not wait to go home again.





No comments: